Last week, Air Canada announced it was canceling more than 9,000 flights (more than 150 flights per day) in July and August in a bid to ease unprecedented pressure on the airline industry.
It is important to note that Air Canada must follow the rules of the Canadian Transportation Agency under the Air Passenger Protection Regulations which determine when you are entitled to compensation due to a flight delay resulting in a late arrival at your final destination. The carrier now has a single, convenient reference page on its website that details all the different compensations passengers would be eligible for in the event of a delay or cancellation. You can find out more about the to place.
Minimum connection time
- Minimum connection times for flights from international and transborder destinations connecting to domestic destinations have been increased by 30 minutes for new bookings in Toronto and Montreal, giving customers (and their baggage) more time to connect. More information on the exact minimum connection times is available on the Air Canada website;
- The schedule has been refined to reduce peak hours at Toronto-Pearson and Montreal-Trudeau airports by rescheduling and canceling some flights, or reducing frequencies, where protection is offered to customers on the same day. This will conserve resources and reduce stress on third-party service providers by smoothing passenger flows and being more convenient for customers;
- Aircraft boarding gates at airports have been reconfigured. For example, wide-body aircraft in Montreal traveling overseas and to the United States are better positioned to realize efficiencies during peak hours for increased operational flexibility.
If you are unable to locate your checked baggage upon arrival, your first step is to notify a baggage service agent of the airline your flight is terminating with. You will need to provide your contact details, a detailed description of your baggage and your baggage claim stubs and boarding passes.
This information will be used to create a WorldTracer incident report. You can then visit the WorldTracer website to see the status of your lost baggage. You can read more about what to do on the Air Canada website.
According to a Press releaseAir Canada’s new measures also include:
- New self-service relocation tools will allow customers who have schedule changes, delays or cancellations to request a refund if they are eligible or change their itineraries in minutes through its mobile app or website . This includes getting up to 20 alternative flight options (subject to availability), choosing to fly to nearby airports instead, and being able to search for flights within a three-day window. It will be available to customers regardless of how and where they booked their tickets;
- A goodwill policy has been put in place for passengers traveling via Toronto-Pearson to allow them to voluntarily increase their connection time at no charge for flexibility when traveling. This policy can be applied within 48 hours of the original travel time;
- A second new policy will provide customers with free same-day waiting options for earlier domestic/cross-border flights, regardless of fare brand or booking class;
- In addition to the recall of virtually all available employees, more than 2,000 front-line airport employees (and 774 more people to work in call centers) have been hired and extensively trained over the past six months, with additional overtime and continued hiring, including relying on recently retired employees with particular expertise;
- Employees were reassigned from other bases to augment specific airports, including the cross-use of cargo employees to assist with airport passenger operations;
- The airline redeployed planes from its Jetz charter fleet to move delayed baggage, which increased largely due to airline handling and infrastructure issues beyond its control;
- The airline works closely with airport authorities, government and third-party agencies to improve and expedite customer processing throughout their journey;
- Additional ground equipment has been acquired to improve airport operations.