Manchester Airport ‘like the Hunger Games’ as Liverpool FC fans fly out for Villarreal game


Travelers arriving from Manchester Airport this morning have complained of ‘crazy’ queues to enter the terminal and security.

Many travelers are Liverpool FC fans heading to Spain for the Champions League semi-final against Villarreal. Kristian Walsh, Liverpool fan and sports editor, tweeted about his experience saying: “Manchester Airport is like the Hunger Games here.

According to passengers, the problem seems to be with Terminal One, another traveler said: “T1 was a good time for security this morning! Looks like a severe staff shortage.” Another tweeted a picture of the queues and added, “It’s 3am and the queue for baggage drop at @manairport T1 is out the door! And only one queue of security on twelve is open.”

READ MORE:‘Angry’ man sold all-inclusive holiday in Spain with ‘six drink rule’

A third said: “T1 departures security is a shambles. Fastrack waiting time is longer than the normal queue.” Another tweeted: “@manairport needs fixing, 4 baggage counters and 4 security counters open in Terminal 1, hundreds of people queuing in the car park for over 2 hours, staff not equipped for the volume number of passengers you have passed through the terminal, please resolve the issue.”

The airport has been plagued with problems in recent weeks amid scenes of crowded check-in halls, long security queues and baggage delays, reports MEN. Hub boss Charlie Cornish previously issued an apology and said due to staffing shortages they would not be able to provide passengers with “the level of service they deserve” over the next few months, until the numbers have been increased.

Previously, holidaymakers were advised to arrive three hours before their flight. Meanwhile, Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham has warned long queues at the airport could last for months into the summer.

On Friday, some holidaymakers going away for the bank holiday weekend also faced delays. A holidaymaker described the situation as a ‘joke’ and said he had to queue for passport control for two hours. Another said they waited in line for an hour and moved ’10 feet’.

In an earlier statement, chief executive Charlie Cornish said: “I cannot apologize enough for the disruption people have faced. The simple fact is that we currently do not have the number of staff that we need to provide the level of service that our passengers deserve.

He added: “I also want to be clear that a huge amount of work is underway to improve the situation in the short term. Our objective for the next four weeks is to provide a more predictable and reliable level of service to passengers.”

Manchester Airport has been approached for comment.


About Author

Comments are closed.