NSW Health investigates transmission infection at hotel

0


NSW reported 105 new local cases on Sunday. Photo: NCA NewsWire / Flavio Brancaleone

Health officials are investigating a possible transmission of quarantine at hotels in New South Wales after a family was infected despite their great efforts to stay safe and adhere to Australia’s strict biosecurity measures.

The 12-year-old boy and his mother returned from overseas and quarantined in Sydney before heading to Queensland this month, where they raised fears of a devastating outbreak after testing positive with the same strain of the virus that is currently wreaking havoc in New South Wales.

It was initially revealed by Queensland Public Health Chief Jeannette Young that the couple arrived from the United States on June 21 and left quarantine on July 5, causing confusion as to where they had been. potentially exposed to the virus given they had only arrived north on July 9.

Read more

But Queensland Health told NCA NewsWire early details were incorrect. The mother and son left the United States on June 21 and entered quarantine on June 23 after the long journey to Sydney.

The fear comes as the number of cases in Sydney continues to skyrocket.  Photo: NCA NewsWire / Flavio Brancaleone
The fear comes as the number of cases in Sydney continues to skyrocket. Photo: NCA NewsWire / Flavio Brancaleone

The couple then decided to extend their stay in quarantine at the hotel from the mandatory 14 days to 16 days to avoid the deterioration of the epidemic in Sydney.

The extension meant that mother and son could transit directly from the facility on their flight to Queensland to avoid exposure and also the need to re-enter quarantine upon arrival in the northern state.

They arrived in Queensland on July 9, saw a doctor on July 10, and the 12-year-old boy and his father, who had not traveled to the United States, tested positive on July 11 and infected with the mother was confirmed the next day.

The boy’s father unknowingly worked at a financial services company in Maroochydore while contagious, raising fears of a possible epidemic in the community, but the cluster has so far been limited to three family members.

The family's infection initially raised fears of an outbreak in Queensland.  Photo: NCA NewsWire / Jono Searle
The family’s infection initially raised fears of an outbreak in Queensland. Photo: NCA NewsWire / Jono Searle

Health officials confirmed to NCA NewsWire that the couple had been hosted by one of the state’s quarantine facilities and that they were investigating a possible transmission within the site.

NSW Health can confirm that a child, who tested positive for COVID-19 several days after arriving home in Queensland, and his mother stayed in a quarantine hotel and special health accommodation in Sydney after arriving from the United States, “he said in a statement.

“Both tested negative for COVID-19 before departure and transited directly from the hotel to the airport on July 9 on their way to Brisbane.

“Investigations are continuing to find out where possible transmission may have occurred. “

Queensland Health listed high-risk exposure alerts at a medical center and pharmacy in Maroochydore after discovering the case, prompting Prime Minister Annastacia Palaszczuk to extend restrictions and mandatory mask wear until Friday from this week.

But the state has now gone a number of days without a new locally acquired case.

Read more


Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.